History

1962

"Ben" Ruhl starts the club and his plan is to develop a golf course on the outskirts of Naples and sell lots around the course for homes. Indiana based golf course architect, Bill Diddel, is hired to design a Florida golf course. The club’s first superintendent, Paul Nevers, constructs the golf course by digging the lakes and using that dirt for the greens and tees. The development is named the "Big Cypress Golf & Country Club."

1962

Big Cypress Golf & Country Club becomes the first private, full-service country club in Naples and the fourth golf course. The Beach Club, Hole-in-the-Wall, and Palm River are already active golf courses.

img1966

The members buy the club from the developer for $700,000 and rename it The Country Club of Naples. Members join for initiation fees starting at $1,000 and dues are less than $300 a year. By the end of the year, the club has 212 members. Phil Darbyshire is the club’s first Head Golf Professional.

1967

The members take over the operations of the club. C. Frank Nelson is the first President of the Board of Directors. The year ends with 300 members.

1968

The club becomes one of the premier social centers of Naples life. It is referred to simply as "The Country Club" by members, local press and town's people. Famous names of Naples history are members and frequent guests. Neapolitans will recognize the names Downing, Frye, Watkins, and Lutgert, to name a few.

1970

At the age of 86, designer Bill Diddel shoots a 74 at CCN. This was a national record for strokes under age. Bill Diddel is later immortalized in Ripley’s “Believe It or Not” by shooting his age or better 1,120 times.

1992

A new 25,000 sq. ft. clubhouse, bag storage building, pool and cabana opens to the membership on January 4th. The 25thanniversary is celebrated two weeks later.

1997

The greens are completely rebuilt to USGA specifications. Tees are rebuilt adding 263 yards to the length of the course.

2003

The Tavern by the Green is built, expanding the clubhouse an additional 1250 sq ft.

2004

The 1962 irrigation system is replaced, rebuilt, and modernized.

2009

For the first time since it was originally constructed, the golf course is shut down for a major restoration. Florida architect Gordon Lewis, ASGCA, is hired to lead the complete rebuild of the golf course. The course is now 6,772 yards from the tips with six intermediate sets of tees providing for all golfers’ skill levels. The course reopens on Halloween to resounding success.

2016

During the 50th Anniversary celebratory year, a $7.6 million renovation of the clubhouse begins on April 4th. The renovated clubhouse reopens on Thanksgiving Day to rave reviews. Expanded casual dining space, a large outdoor verandah, indoor/outdoor seating, and a vibrant new look!

The Country Club of Naples

       185 Burning Tree Dr.
           Naples, FL 34105-6308

       Clubhouse: (239) 261-1032

      membership@ccnaples.net

 185 Burning Tree Dr., Naples, FL 34105-6308
 Clubhouse: (239) 261-1032   membership@ccnaples.net

Get Directions
Get More Information
The Country Club of Naples

       185 Burning Tree Dr.
           Naples, FL 34105-6308

       Clubhouse: (239) 261-1032

      membership@ccnaples.net

 185 Burning Tree Dr., Naples, FL 34105-6308
 Clubhouse: (239) 261-1032   membership@ccnaples.net

Get Directions